David's Reviews > Our Kind of Traitor

Our Kind of Traitor by John le Carré

M 50x66
Jun 08, 11

Read in June, 2011

Amazingly, given my love for thrillers and crime novels, this was the first Le Carré I have read.

Did I enjoy it? Yes. I quickly buried myself in the book, sucked in by Le Carré's fast moving plot, the collision between the ordinary world and the criminal and spy worlds, and the all too believable government corruption.

I didn't like the book enormously though, hence the 3 star rating. I found both Perry and Gail to be rather annoying characters and did not particularly sympathise with their plight. Le Carré seemed to be far better at sketching characters for the spies and other murky people encountered through the book.

There was also a growing feeling of menace building up around Perry and Gail through the novel, where it was clear that they didn't fully understand what they had got themselves involved in and it seemed they would inevitably find themselves in a situation that brought home the realities of how dangerous this 'other' world is, but I never felt that really happened, despite their encounters in Antigua and Paris and Perry witnessing the dénouement. It still seemed like they felt they were just playing a game.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Our Kind of Traitor.