Lisa Vegan's Reviews > Headache

Headache by Crystal Marcos

Apr 05, 2012

bookshelves: childrens, fiction, gr-a, novel, speculative-fiction, from-a-p, reviewed
Read from April 02 to 05, 2012 — I own a copy

This story starts right up where the first book, BELLYACHE: A Delicious Tale, left off, or very soon after.

This tale was not quite as fun and more scary (for me) than the first book because rather than the children from our world going to another world, characters from that world are now visiting our world and so for me some of the enchantment was lacking except in certain places, and the scary stuff is right in our everyday world, and the specifics of that scary material was my least favorite part of the first book. Also one gripe I have is that I’d think the parents and grandparents would be more worried about their kid(s), and themselves too. But 7 and 8, and some 9 and 10 year olds too, will probably take this in stride.

While it did take me longer to warm up to this installment than with the first book (though probably not if I was younger) warm up I did. And I am delighted to see that the book ends in such a way as to make room for more sequels. While this works okay as a standalone book, I highly recommend readers reading the first book before they read this one.

So much of this story and the last is the amazingly imaginative wish fulfillment that young readers have, and they’ll be able to identify with everything, I think. I love the details in each book re food. And while sweets are (for some characters) the foods to avoid, as some of the sentient characters are sweets, for me I couldn’t help thinking about sentient animals that are used for food, a vegan’s perspective. It is funny that sweets remain a desired delicacy in the story, although the characters are sensitive as to how others might feel about that. (And with all the negative press currently out about the toxicity of sugar, touting vegetables to young readers probably isn’t such a bad idea. Both appear tempting here.)

There is a great bit about appearances not always being what they seem re scary or mean neighbors a la Mrs. Dubose and Boo Radley. I love the role the grandmother plays in this story. I love the secret rooms, and the books. I also appreciated the part that indicated the only thing to fear is fear itself; it’s a great mastery over fear story. And while another sequel seems to be on the horizon, the ending of this book 2 is very satisfying.

I’d have loved to be one of Crystal Marcos' younger siblings; she could have definitely kept me entertained.

I’m not reading much these days. It did not take me 4 days to read this book. It’s more of a one, or possibly two, day book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Headache.