Kevin's Reviews > Our Noise: The Story of Merge Records, the Indie Label That Got Big and Stayed Small

Our Noise by John Cook

Jun 07, 2011

bookshelves: artsy-graphic-esque, nonfiction-or-memoir

If you're a fan of Merge Records like I am, you probably like almost everything they do. They're so consistently great and this oral history of their first twenty years is outstanding. Funny and revealing recollections from Mac and Laura share the pages with recollections from other musicians and record industry folks. My favorite parts were the chapters on little-known genius's Butterglory, the rise of Neutral Milk Hotel, the accidental "country" of Lambchop, the ups and down of Spoon, and the stuff about Superchunk trying to finally get on radio with "Hyper Enough."
Plus there's a ton of cool photos, show posters, and personal correspondence. A highly entertaining read about an inspiring record label that has stayed true to the musicians (M. Ward, Ladybug Transistor, Arcade Fire, Spoon, Lambchop. Magnetic Fields, Richard Buckner, Camera Obscura, and of course, the almighty Superchunk)they love.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Our Noise.