Meen's Reviews > Rubyfruit Jungle

Rubyfruit Jungle by Rita Mae Brown

Jun 10, 11

bookshelves: fiction, lgbtqia-lmnop, own-it, feminist-womanist-gender
Recommended to Meen by: I guess it's one of those lesbian standards?
Read from June 07 to 10, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

6/10/11: It was fun. I liked Molly Bolt before she came to NYC a lot more than I did after. And I saw someone else's review mention that the book was pretty butch-phobic, and that's true. So it was fun, especially before she got to NYC, but mostly just OK.

Something that was interesting about it for me--(I can't help reading as an informal sociologist, it seems.)--was the trenchant gender critique, and the realization that not so long ago the woman as class president, as film director, as uninterested in marriage, etc. was such an off-the-wall experience. (And we've still got a long way to go in the film director dept.) It reminds me how truly revolutionary feminism is in the course of human history and how thankful I am to be on this (still so precarious) end of all the work of the radical women who stood up and spoke out and demanded access to the full range of human experience.

6/7/11: I need something light and fun. And lesbian. :D
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rubyfruit Jungle.

message 1: by Perrin (new)

Perrin Simpatico, Mindy,
I'm finally getting around to watching The L Word Season 1 this week!

David Katzman who doesn't, now and again. ;-)

I remember this was a good book. Read some Christopher Moore next! That's light and fun and gay, too!

Meen I need lesbian, D2! (And lesbians would be nice too...)

And Perrin, how in crap did you avoid The L Word all this time? Season 1 was the best, it was all downhill from there!

David Katzman fair enough. hee-hee. Too bad Jeanette Winterson isn't funny.

Meen "Are your twenty-three feet of intestines loaded with stars?"

She sounds heavenly, even if not funny!

David Katzman oh, you have to read her if you haven't. The Passion is one of my favorite books. Sexing the Cherry and Written on the Body are really good, too.

Meen Yes, just in reading that article, I'm becoming smitten with her!

"One room is always enough for one person, two rooms is not enough for two people. That is one of the conundrums in life."

Meen Guess after all this admiration I should tag her, huh?

Jeanette Winterson

Sarah Jeanette Winterson is awesome, but not so funny. For funny, I suggest A Ghost in the Closet: A Nancy Clue and Hardly Boys Mystery. Or starting from the beginning of Dykes to Watch Out for if you've never read any.

message 10: by Meen (new) - rated it 2 stars

Meen I think I read one back in undergrad, but yeah D2WOF's a good suggestion for fun, Sarah. I hadn't heard of Nancy Clue and Hardly Boys, will definitely add those to my list.

Jackie "the Librarian" It reminds me how truly revolutionary feminism is in the course of human history and how thankful I am to be on this (still so precarious) end of all the work of the radical women who stood up and spoke out and demanded access to the full range of human experience.

This pisses the hell out of me, that women are still having to fight this fight.

message 12: by Meen (new) - rated it 2 stars

Meen I KNOW! The backlash (including from other women) in this country has been insidious. VERY maddening.