Michael Elrod's Reviews > An American Plague: The True and Terrifying Story of the Yellow Fever Epidemic of 1793

An American Plague by Jim  Murphy

Jun 07, 11

bookshelves: young-adults
Read in June, 2011

This book was very cut and dry, but I guess where it is a historical non-fiction I should've expected that. I knew of the Yellow fever epidemic a long time ago, but I now feel a lot more enlightened on the subject. I mean, think about it...The states were in their first 20 years of statehood, and to have an epidemic like this sweep Philadelphia, and a good portion of the nation was absolutely devastating. Another thing I didn't know was that they'd ring the bell with each death. That was kind of eerie. I didn't know that it was the free blacks of America that stepped up big time to help the ill. And, the amazing thing about that is that they still faced adversity even though they were helping people out. This book really is an experience. The research that went into the book was evident. I liked the newspaper pages, and the layout of the book was special. Overall a very good book, and has rekindled my interest in American History.

Warnings: This book deals with heavy subject matter including death, sickness, some racism
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An American Plague.