Victorious's Reviews > Batman: Year One

4520855
Jun 07, 11

bookshelves: 2011-reads, graphic-novel
Read on June 07, 2011

I've always been interested in superhero stories/mythology, and with the plethora of Marvel/DC Comic movies coming out, my friend recommended Batman: Year One as a way to ease my way into Batman's complex and long-standing comic history.

As a novice, a few plot lines didn't register with me (for example, mob-boss Falcone is often referred to as "The Roman", which I had to look up in order to understand a few pages), but overall I was interested to see how this origins story influenced both Batman Begins and The Dark Knight movies. I have to say that I was impressed and am very interested in reading more.

I am teetering between 4 and 5 stars, as I feel the detailed afterword illustation by Mazzucchelli adds so much to the book as a whole, and makes me appreciate the detailed story writing and creative process that goes into each and every comic edition published. While I felt the story itself could have been developed a little more, I do understand that it might have lacked for me as I am not familiar with Frank Miller's other Batman works and truly am new to this series.

Snap decision: 4 stars! I have a feeling I'll be purchasing this soon and recommending it to many others in the near future.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Batman.

06/07/2011 page 20
14.0% "Just like in my dreams, Lieutenant Gordon is a serious badass."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mike (new)

Mike Have you read Dark Knight? If not, do it. It is my 2nd favorite graphic novel of all time. Also, never read Dark Knight Strikes Again. It is horrible and you'll feel awful whenever you think about it.

Victorious No, I have not! Do you mean The Dark Knight Returns or another one? I just requested a whole bunch from the library, so let me know of any others to add to my list!

message 3: by Mike (new)

Mike Yes, Dark Knight Returns. Of course you MUST read Watchmen, if you haven't already. From major labels, I'd also recommend Marvels, Sandman series, and anything by Will Eisner (not necessarily the Spirit, but all others). Grendel and Mage are two oldies but goodies and Cerebus Jaka's Story might be one of the craziest things out there. Lastly, Transmetropolitan, Y Last Man, Walking Dead, and 100 Bullets are some of the best of the recent comics - I guess I'd add Fables, but that thing goes on forever! But, again, Watchmen is my favorite 'novel ever. Please enjoy!

Victorious Ok, I definitely read Watchmen prior to seeing the movie, but it definitely deserves another reading. I requested Dark Knight Returns and Sin City, and have Walking Dead: Compendium One at home. I will definitely add your other suggestions to my to read list. Thanks so much!