Jill's Reviews > William's Doll

ISBN- 0-06-027048-9
Illustrated by William Pène Du Bois
Reading Level- 2nd-3rd grade
Genre- Fable

This is a great story when trying to teach children about how it's important to fight for what you want. A young boy named William wants a doll, but his father along with this brother and friends think he'll be a sissy if he has a doll. His father keeps buying him other things he thinks are more appropriate toys for boys to play with like a basketball and train set. Williams likes all of these things but he still wants a doll that he can hold and love so his grandmother who comes to visit him one day finally gives him the doll that he so wanted. She is everything he hoped for.

I didn't like this story for it's simplicity in dealing with this subject. I think the writing is at a level that young children can really access, but the author doesn't do much to reflect on how the behavior of his father makes him feel. There is a lot to the story underneath that is never discussed, and I feel that it leaves me wanting. I imagine though at the time it was written it was a challenge enough for everyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read William's Doll.