Cynthea's Reviews > Forever

Forever by Pete Hamill

Jun 07, 2011

Read from June 01 to 10, 2011

Absolutely LOVED this book - it's really a 4 1/2 stars. Me thinks however, that you need to have NYC in your blood to really enjoy it.

It seems that all the other reviews and rankings fall into I hate it, or I really loved it. I can appreciate the parts of the book that people complained about - there are definitely a few disjointed points, and disconnections and a few places that seem a bit random in flow. However, there is so much of the actual story and the history that is woven into that story that is marvelous. Unless those parts are specifically "pointed out," or dwelled upon, for me, any weirdness got lost in the fabulous story itself.

I work downtown on Wall Street (where the story picks up when Cormac gets to NYC). How exciting Mr. Hamill has made my walk to and from work, my lunch hours and my exploration of lower Manhattan.

It's a few days later now that I finished the book, and I am still thinking about it. It's still resonating with me. And, contrary to others, I really, really did love the way the book ended. It was so completely satisfying.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forever.