Kiri's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling

Jun 07, 11

bookshelves: fiction, scifi-fant, young-adult, reviewed
Read in June, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 2

A quick last waltz through the Harry Potter novels before I send the set off to school children (somewhere) where they will hopefully be read to pieces and loved for at least a few years.

This last novel has many plotlines to wrap-up and covers the disillusionment that happens as we come of age and into the adult world. Admittedly Harry is coming to it at a very dark time in this fictional universe but Rowling does show the tears that happen and the depth of questioning that is left behind when we lose someone.

There is a great deal of wandering about aimlessly. It might have been illustrated with less prosaic filler unless of course there was a need to depict every ... last.. campsite .. they ... stopped .. at.. While worthy of a travelogue it drags on -- making the novel drag, not to mention the loss of time perspective by the core characters is a bit silly (they were getting papers) and at the very least I don't think Hermione is that un-organized.

I feel there were a few odd things about this novel. For one it isn't ever quite explained why Ron must be the one to destroy the locket horcrux - unless it is as a method to illustrate what the reader should have found obvious about his feelings regarding his two best friends. It might have been better addressed in another manner, however it does bring him back into the main plotline and gives him something to do. For another how did Neville get the sword after the goblin took it? (Possibly I might have missed that bit but I don't think so)

But despite all of that we find out quite a bit as the novel goes on its way. There are highs and lows emotionally, as well as challenges. The end is of course quite exciting and while fans are left with the taste for more I felt it wrapped up quite well all things considered.

I'd like to also take a moment and make note of the lovely illustrations throughout the novels of this series done by Mary GrandPré. They are delightful.

I will leave you with an amusing image that has little to do with my reading of this last novel in the series.. just my amusement.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new) - rated it 1 star

John Egbert That, there, is one bold student.

Kerli How did Harry get the sword in Chamber of Secrets? It had been lost for ages, Dumbledore told him. You get the sword by doing something brave, worthy of Godric Gryffindor. So, as before, the sword was just transported from wherever it was, to Neville, because he was ready to kill the snake. Griphook didn't deserve it nor own it - even if it was made by goblins and they have a different view of ownership etc.