Britney's Reviews > Lola and the Boy Next Door

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

May 08, 2016

bookshelves: young-adult
Read from June 09 to 17, 2012

Lola reminds me of my theater-friends (which makes up the majority of my friends because they tend to be good people). She's quirky and independent and has her own sense of style. She loves to design clothes and is in a new crazy-awesome outfit every day. She's impossible to not like because she seems so real--she has the dysfunctional family (two fathers and an emotionally/physically absent mother), a very small tight-knit group of friends, and a boyfriend who she likes, maybe even loves, but her friends and family do not like. I found a bit of my friends and myself in her, which made LOLA AND THE BOY NEXT DOOR such an enjoyable read.

As much as I could find bits and pieces of people I know in Lola, she is also realistic in her individualism. She makes mistakes, loves with fear and fearlessly, trusts and distrusts her heart, and says the right things at the wrong times. She's quirky and I kind of have a girl-crush on her. I blame Stephanie Perkins for writing unbelievably realistic characters.

And then there is the boy. Cricket, the boy next door. He's not her boyfriend but the two of them have a past and he's just so good. He's relentlessly honest about his feelings (which kind of terrifies me, tbh) and he's got the looks: tall, lanky, cute. Without being completely spoilery (but you get a good hint just based on the cover and title, let's be honest here) of who Lola ends up with, this is one of those perfect swoon-worthy kissy books that isn't fluff but is just the right escape from my dystopian and high fantasy binges.

Like ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS, LOLA AND THE BOY NEXT DOOR is a contemporary young adult novel in the vein of one of my favorites, Sarah Dessen. We even get to see Anna and St. Clair in LOLA AND THE BOY NEXT DOOR (eeeeee!), making it a fun companion novel for ANNA fans, just like Dessen has done with some of her novels. Perkins writes with a beautiful voice that doesn't take you out of the story--you constantly feel like Lola, a unique teen girl, is telling you her story and I loved every bit of it.

If you enjoy contemporary novels by authors like Sarah Dessen, Kody Keplinger, and Siobhan Vivian, you will love Stephanie Perkins' LOLA AND THE BOY NEXT DOOR (and ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS).
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lola and the Boy Next Door.

05/08 marked as: read