Leta's Reviews > The Daughter of Time

The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey

F_50x66
Mar 11, 08

Read in February, 2008

I've loved this book for years and when it came up in conversation recently I decided it was time to re-re-re-read it.

Alan Grant, one of Tey's best character's is laid up in the hospital with a broken leg. To assuage the "prickles of boredom," Grant takes up the very cold case of Richard III - hero or villain? One of the best known of the "literary" defences of Richard, it is also just plain fun to read. Grant and his "research worker" consider the case from a policeman's perspective making what could be heavy paragraphs of historical information into the riveting evidence of the case. Quite a few "Richardians," as Richard's apologists are known, either began their interest in him after reading "The Daughter of Time," or glommed on to it shortly thereafter.

I do note, of course, that as she was writing fiction, not history, so some facts that didn't fit her theories are conveniently ommited.

Beautifully written, well paced, with interesting characters, this book is especially recommended for fans of medieval history but well worth reading by anyone.

'....that King Richard, late mercifully reigning upon us, was through great treason of the duke of Norfolk and many others that turned against him, with many other lords and nobles of this north parts, was piteously slain and murdered, to the great heaviness of this city.'

By the Mayor and Alderman of the city of York the day following the Battle of Bosworth.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Daughter of Time.