Joan's Reviews > Unlocked: A Love Story

Jun 22, 2011

Recommended to Joan by: Book Club
Recommended for: Kingsbury fans
Read in May, 2011 , read count: 1

Karen Kingsbury is a Christian writer who speaks with a Christian perspective to a number of concerns. Our book club has read a book of hers which discussed the issue of young people going to war. The most recent one was this, "Unlocked," the story of a thoughtful high school girl, a teenager who is autistic (severely so) and a high school boy who plays the flute. KIngsbury's major issue is bullying (you can see the scenario in the character descriptions above) but the minor issue--that Kingsbury seems to spend most time on--is that of autism.

Kingsbury is a good author; she does her homework and writes with obvious care and concern for each of her characters. And, like all authors, she has an agenda. Although the book is fiction, there is much concern expressed about the apparent (but currently mostly debunked) association of autism with childhood vaccinations. The young autistic man has a history of several such vaccinations given in one sitting. (As a retired health care professional I question the validity of such an experience; certainly no person or agency I have ever worked with would have used such a practice!)

The story does involve the issue of bullying--in fact, it is the dilemma that is explored in detail in the book. But autism colors all the bullying experiences: the autistic boy is bullied consistently as is the teen who plays the flute. And autism is the promt that Kingsbury admits moved her to write this novel.

Is the book good? Sure. Is it believable? I think sadly it is ALL too believable. I confess I was less than excited as I started the book but as I got into it, I was more involved and intrigued. In the end, I finished the book--and I'm glad I did. And I was able to discuss it but not without some misgivings; I am glad I am in a book club that moves me to read what I would not ordinarily choose.

I have heard that Kingsbury is a "lovely woman." I am certain she is; she is highly regarded in both Christian and non-Christian reading circles.

I am glad there are books other than Karen Kingsbury's on our reading list!

P.S. Next I read "House Rules" by Jodi Picault. See my review on that.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unlocked.