Jessica's Reviews > Frostbound

Frostbound by Sharon Ashwood

Jun 10, 2011

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, paranormal-romance
Read on June 10, 2011

At the beginning of this series, I would pick up these books if I happened across them. At this point, they're on my auto-buy list. I think Ashwood has really hit her stride with Frostbound.

The characters:
I've liked and admired the hellhound Lore since his introduction and I'm happy he was matched with someone as strong and compassionate as Talia.

Raised in a clan of genocidal monster Hunters, Talia was changed into a vampire against her will as an act of vengeance against her father. I've seen similar storylines play out in other series with mixed results. It's to Ashwood's credit that the character she created in Talia isn't just likable, she's someone I can respect.

The worldbuilding: consistently fantastic. Not just the social rules, but the physical layout of Fairview. The elements of the city (including the Castle) are so well developed, they're like characters themselves. In my nerdiness, I wish we could get a map of the town; I'm sure the author has one she refers to. The descriptions are so precise and consistent between books.

The plot: both in urban fantasy and in romance terms, the plot was engrossing, well paced and intelligent. These books are all stand-alones but connected. There's no cliffhanger ending but I still happily anticipate reading the next one as soon as it comes out.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Frostbound.

06/10/2011 page 80
22.0% ""Till death do us part. Quite the statement, isn't it?When we utter those words, are we describing love, the bond of hunter and prey, or both?" "You see, that's why I hang out with you. Every time it's like, wham, I'm in a Doctor Who episode.""