Bernice Ouellette's Reviews > Breathless

Breathless by Dean Koontz

Jun 07, 2011

liked it
Read in June, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I love a book that grabs me right off the top so I can't put it down. I love detailed, poignant discriptions. However, I hate a book with no ending. I especially hate an author who gets bored with what he's writing and just wraps it up to be done with it. This book had some of what I love and some of what I hate.

I have never read Dean Koontz prior to "Breathless" and I won't rule out reading his work again if I find it for a good price at a sale. I absolutely loved his discriptions the way he played so effortlessly with words to build detailed images in my mind. I also read this book in pretty much one sitting because I simply had to know "who done it". But then it was over...Koontz simply ties a big bow around the entire situation and ends it. If he couldn't rationalize the existance a character, he simply didn't. What should have been brilliant, was not! He even had the audacity to get preachy playing fast and loose with facts. I have no problem with authors voicing their opinions in their work, art is all about opinion, however, you need to convince not badger me. I want a novel that seduces me with it's story and this one talked a pretty good line but I still went home alone.

I have given this book a three because I believe it has the makings of an excellent novel if it were properly edited and ended.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breathless.

Janice Hmmmmm... do I dare read your hidden review? I'm only a few chapters into the book. There was a bit of a shock in the one chapter.

Bernice Ouellette Don't you dare! I'm dying to hear your review of the book and reading mine may influence your point of view. Once you get to the shocking chapter (which I believe you have reached) the book is quite the page turner.

Janice Three stars, eh? That high?