Anna's Reviews > The Legacy

The Legacy by Katherine Webb

Aug 10, 2014

bookshelves: dual-timeline, read-in-2011, 5-stars, family-saga
Read in July, 2011

I loved this book, with the complexities of its characters, and its many layers and themes.

It opens in England in 1905 with the lady of the manor, Caroline, mysteriously running through the woods.

In the present day, sisters Erica and Beth inherit the old manor house from their grandmother, Meredith. It’s the house they spent their childhood summers in until one hot day in 1986 when their cousin Henry vanished. Erica has no memory of this day, but Beth has been haunted by the disappearance ever since, suffering adulthood depression. They meet up with an old childhood friend, Dinny, and Erica becomes convinced that he and Beth know what happened to Henry.

As Erica is sorting through Meredith's things, she finds some old letters and a photo of Caroline, her great-grandmother. She’d holding a baby, marked New York and with a date from a year before she met her husband. What secrets did Caroline hide in America all those years ago, what became of the baby, and how has the past affected her family throughout the generations?

In most dual-timeline books, I usually much prefer the past story to the present one; in this case, there are three storylines to follow (Caroline, Henry and Erica/Beth), and I found them each equally engrossing. As much as I really wanted to know what happened next in each time-zone, I hated having to leave another one behind for a while.

I guessed both secrets before the reveals, but to the author’s credit, neither discoveries took anything away from the drama and tension of the stories; I couldn't put this book down. A beautifully crafted, multi-layered, excellent read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Legacy.

Diane Lynn This sounds good!

Anna Yeah, I loved it, although I've found some of her other books a bit hit and miss. Hope you enjoy this one!

Cleo Bannister I enjoyed this one too. Glad you enjoyed it.