CaliGirlRae's Reviews > Walking The Edge

Walking The Edge by Zee Monodee

Dec 05, 11

bookshelves: to-read, romantic-suspense, dark-romances
Read in January, 2009

(First edition 2009 galley review)

Ms. Monodee has become one of my favorite new authors with the way she writes her characters with so much complexity and bite. Her upcoming Walking on the Edge came just as I was getting into Anne Stuart's romantic suspense books and I have to say both whet my appetite for more books of it's type.

Amelia Jamison awakens to a life that doesn't feel quite like the one she left before her boating accident. Her husband Peter doesn't feel like a loving husband and is more interested in keeping her sedated on pills than comforting her. She notices his sneak calls and the way he's always "at the office". As she tries to jog her memory to the life she led before, she remembers snippets of a man she may have been intimate with during a time where her life may have been completely unlike what she expected. During one of Peter's outings, she decides to start on a track that would soon lead her in the path of a high ranking police official...

Gerard Besson is the commissaire of Marseille. After losing the love of his life to a bombing accident that nearly took his own life, he has thrown himself into his work. Once he notices a mysterious woman following him, he is on alert. As attracted he is to her, he knows she could sent to catch him off guard when he least expects it. At her persistence, he soon finds that he may share a dark past with her. Amidst a twist of events Amelia closes in to her her true identity and eventually discovers her true connection to Gerard.

This was an awesome read. I couldn't figure out what was going on and in a suspense that's exactly what I want to keep me turning the pages. The action and mystery was taut and the turn of events kept taking me by surprise. Gerard was a hot hot hot hero and I can so picture him as a serious yet very masculine type like German actor Thomas Kretschmann. In fact, if this book becomes a movie one day (I would so love that) I hope Thomas K. gets to play Gerard.

I'd highly recommend this read to all suspense enthusiasts (romantic or otherwise) and those who love a good story. I had a chance to read this in 2009 in its first edition and it went on my best reads of 2009. I'm definitely going to give this one a re-read because of the many intricate details in the story that I know I may have missed the first time around.

Fans of Anne Stuart will love this debut novel, this time with a switch featuring a dark heroine rather Stuart's dark hero slant.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Walking The Edge.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zee (new) - added it

Zee Monodee Thank you, Rae!

Can you allow me to point out that you reviewed the original 2009 galley for this, which is a little bit less beefy than the version that came out? :)

Big hugs, and so glad you enjoyed the book

CaliGirlRae Please do! I was going to put a disclaimer at the top just to let folks know but I wasn't sure, hehe. I'll go ahead and do that as a heads up!

message 3: by Zee (new) - added it