Chris Witt's Reviews > Belly Laughs: The Naked Truth About Pregnancy and Childbirth

Belly Laughs by Jenny McCarthy

Mar 10, 08

Recommended to Chris by: The Biglers
Recommended for: First-time expecting parents
Read in March, 2008

If you ever wondered what it would be like to be the father of a Playboy Playmate's child, wonder no more!

Friends of my wife and I gave us this book as part of their "required reading". We are expecting in late September.

I know what you're thinking. Isn't Jenny McCarthy that really crass, not-so-funny-but-thinks-she-is Playmate who's been dating Jim Caray for the past few years?

Ya, it's the same person. But the book is actually pretty good.

Yes, she's crass. But that bluntness and honesty sometimes makes for a refreshing read, particularly for those of us who are having our first kid.

It seems like a lot of the images out there of pregnancy are all blissed-out happiness and it's all 100% wonderful but, truth be told, I think it may be more like 98% bullshit.

We're only closing in on 3 months into the pregnancy right now, but McCarthy is dead on with so many things that I've already witnessed my wife going through. After reading through the book, the two of us felt a bit better prepared for what's ahead of us, because, honestly, these first few months I've heard my wife ask the question "is this normal?!!" about a thousand times. Now she knows that, yes, everything's normal. Either that or she and Jenny McCarthy are 99.99999999997% genetically similar, I don't know.

To summarize: a good read for anybody who just found out that they are expecting their first child. It's not always pretty! But I think it may leave you a bit better prepared for what's coming up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Belly Laughs.