Erin's Reviews > Lush Life

Lush Life by Richard Price

Mar 10, 2008

bookshelves: crime-suspense
Read in May, 2008

I've heard of Richard Price for years, with "Clockers" being the book that made him famous, and how notable he was for being an older white guy with an ear for inner city dialogue and characters. He wrote some episodes for "The Wire" (always a plus for me), so I put this on the list at the library. It was very good,and definitely a slice of reality. Basically it starts out as a murder mystery of sorts--3 white guys are held up late at night and one is shot and killed. You don't know whether the main character, one of the 3 guys, is the shooter or just a victim himself. The story mainly follows him and the detective trying to figure out what happened. Eventually you learn the entire tale about halfway through, and I didn't think that took away from the narrative momentum of the story (although I've read criticism that Price should have kept it a mystery). Price makes you feel like you're really there, feeling the frustrations of being a NYC detective, the grief of the father for his murdered son, the ease at which killing a person can seem almost beside the point--his writing is raw and honest. There's resolution to the murder, but no real finish--you feel like the story could keep going just following the world-weary detective as he takes other cases. Worth the read--Price is a gifted storyteller.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lush Life.