Ruthmgon's Reviews > The Time Traveler's Guide to Medieval England: A Handbook for Visitors to the Fourteenth Century

The Time Traveler's Guide to Medieval England by Ian Mortimer

Jun 28, 11

Read from June 06 to 26, 2011

This so far feels like the author is like the audio commentary for "Monty Python's Holy Grail" This is fun stuff, and truth is stranger than fiction. Its an earlier period, but I blame the Elizabeth book for heading me in this historical direction....

This has been really a great read, I love the detail from all the printed and painted materials from history, blended in with the authors witty comments...Especially as it is broken down into chapters like: What to do, Where to go... like a travel book theme.

For example: Under the gruesome Law section, we learn how theft has the punishment of hanging, and for worse crimes there are always additions to that, such as disembowelment, castration, and drawn/ quartering. used rarely on such people as William Wallace.. "In case you were wondering whether the disembowelment kills him before he is hanged, the answer is no. " As if it weren't bad enough! How he can make this enjoyable and fun to read, either shows that he is really a gifted comedian, that I have an odd sense of humor,or that the truth is stranger than fiction!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Time Traveler's Guide to Medieval England.