Suzanne Stephens's Reviews > Daddy-Long-Legs & Dear Enemy

Daddy-Long-Legs & Dear Enemy by Jean Webster

F 50x66
Mar 10, 2008

Read in January, 2008

Somehow I completely missed this book when growing up. Just read about it recently on the yarnstorm blog. The blog's author--("blogress"?)is working on a book about the foods from famous children's literature. What a fun project and how jealous am I that I didn't think of that!! Anyway--if you missed Daddy-Long-Legs and the sequel, Dear Enemy, when growing up, it's not too late! What delightful books! Improbable? Yes--but suspend that disbelief and just enjoy!

(If you get the Penguin Edition--which contains both DLL & DE, DO NOT read the introduction before reading the story. It detracts from the story on several levels, but the most serious crime is that it is a spoiler--and you won't want Daddy-Long-Legs, the mysterious benefactor, unveiled before his time. There are a number of things I really appreciate about Penguin Editions--but their "intros" are not one of them. They really need to be put at the back of the book to be read AFTER the book itself. Then the reader can decide if they agree with the analysis of the scholar writing the "intro" instead of having their experience of the book colored by the critic's slant.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daddy-Long-Legs & Dear Enemy.