Elizabeth's Reviews > Can You Keep a Secret?

Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella

F_50x66
Nov 29, 11

bookshelves: chick-lit
Recommended for: Mariah
Read from November 27 to 28, 2011, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** I enjoyed it, but it did feel a little too derivative of other Chick Lit books (particularly Bridget Jones) at times.

Our heroine starts off the book by listing a number of secrets about herself. She is then seen at a business meeting in Glasgow, the first such visit she's been allowed to do solo at her new job. Although she has some good ideas, she also manages to spill a red drink on the client. Feeling miserable, she charms her way into a first class upgrade on the plane and proceeds to get drunk on champagne. As the air grows more turbulent, she proceeds to spill all her secrets to the American sitting next to her. *** SPOILER ALERT AHEAD***

Skip forward a few days, and she discovers that American is the multi-millionaire owner of the company where she works. He takes a liking to her because she's the only one who's not trying to kiss his feet. After they make love, he publicly humiliates her by telling the nation that he has found an everyday woman and describing her in such detail that all her colleagues and friends know it is him.

The book has many fun elements. Likeable heroine who's vulnerable, but is NOT a bumbling klutz or afflicted with so many character defects that one can't relates. Good friends who will help her. And a caring but somewhat clueless man who slowly discovers how women should really be treated.

I enjoyed it, but still couldn't help feeling the entire time like I'd read the book before.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Can You Keep a Secret?.