Paradoxical's Reviews > The Body Finder

Jun 06, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: 2011-reading-list, books-otherwise
Read in June, 2011

I was pleasantly surprised by this book. Being that the main character, Violet, could sense dead bodies, I was somewhat leery about the way she would act. Angsty, perhaps? Dramatic? Letting it define her? But I was glad to see that none of those vague fears came true. Violet is a strong main character. She's fun, a regular girl, and she just so happens to sense dead bodies, but she doesn't let it consume her, and she doesn't actually think all that much about it. Which is the best way to have written it, because it's more like something that is part of her life (well, until she starts discovering dead human bodies) than something that is separate.

I was a bit more ambivalent about her and Jay's relationship. Pretty much classic best friend scenario where one suddenly discovers that he/she is in love with the other, and all of the drama that ensues from there. And yet, I rather liked both of the characters very much, and so I didn't mind. Something about them both made me happy for them, and made me want them to be together, even when I felt annoyed enough that I wanted to knock their heads together and go, "Hurry up already!"

The author uses the entire brainless cheerleader cliche that high school books are so fond of using. I know it's tempting to use, but every time I see it I sigh. Just because a person's a cheerleader doesn't mean that they're brainless. In fact, it's annoying that that's all that they're defined as: cheerleaders. Which automatically means that they're popular and pretty and, ugh, cliches. Awful cliches.

I enjoyed the book, but it was a little lacking. I found the romance was a little too over the top, while the actual plot line languished a bit. I just wanted more from the book and it didn't happen. Not a bad read, but not a great one either, so 2-3 stars. 2 because I pretty much found it "all right".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Body Finder.