Kim Smiley's Reviews > Shiver

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Jun 06, 11

bookshelves: favorites
Read in June, 2011

Ok, I have to say, I had no intentions of ever reading this book. I'm not a big wolf fanatic so I didn't think I would be interested in the story. However, I'm into YA books right now and finding good ones has been difficult lately, so I went with every list on this site, seeing this book listed as a favorite over and over again.

And guess what? I wasn't disappointed! Like I said, I'm not big into wolves or anything, but this book was more than just the wolf. OH sure, I'm guessing most of you who read this stuff always compare it to Twilight, but I don't do that and this book was so un-Twilight like in my opinion.

Grace was taken by wolves at a very young age. As they attacked her, she could only look into the beautiful eyes of one particular wolf. This wolf ended up saving her from the rest. From then on, and for the next six years, a now 17 yr old Grace has always been fascinated by the wolves. She could see them from her house in her backyard of woods. And she always saw the wolf that saved her.

One day when a high school boy was killed by wolves, some hunters decided the wolves needed to be put down. Frantic, Grace raced home trying to save them, only to find a bleeding naked boy in her backyard. The eyes gave him away and Grace knew that this was her wolf. His name was Sam he told her. And he had been watching over her for six years as well.

I love how these 2 characters meshed right into eachother and you badly want them to be together. However, unlike the "Twilight wolves" Sam only has so many chances to be human. ONce bitten, the new wolf is human during the warm summer months, but once the weather changes and gets cold, they shift and the wolf takes over. Eventually, after years of shifting, the human no longer shifts away from the wolf and then there's just the wolf. Grace and Sam bond as they're always together and Grace is hoping that this isn't Sam's last time as a human, but he's certain that this is his last year.

I loved this book and where the author went with the story. She even let them give into their passion and do it, which is something I don't see hardly at all in YA books, let alone the first in a 3 book series. that alone made me happy as I like to see my main characters get together. She was very vague about it and not at all graphic, but I didn't care. Just knowing they got their chance made me happy.

The end of the book left it with questions, but happy ones. I'm looking forward to the second book in this series.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shiver.