Whatchyareading's Reviews > Ripple

Ripple by Mandy Hubbard

Jun 06, 11

bookshelves: christine, paranormal, young-adult
Read in June, 2011

When the opportunity arose, I grabbed at the chance to read Ripple early (thanks to Around the World ARC Tours). The cover wasn’t the greatest thing ever, but the summary intrigued me as it sounded similar to an adult series that I read, Jane True by Nicole Peeler.

Starting at the beginning of Lexi’s senior year, Ripple unfolds as a mystery at first. What happened to Lexi in the past to make her such a recluse? Why are all of her former friends bullying her? As the mystery is revealed, we find Lexi slowly being drawn out of her shell, in large part to a very cute boy. The romance springs up quickly and then the new boy enters – a water spirit who claims to have the power to break Lexi’s curse. She can be normal again, the only thing she’s wanted since that horrible tragedy.

The struggle Lexi goes through between the boys was interesting. I thought I was done with love triangles, but in a way, it wasn’t really a triangle, so I was alright with it. You’ll have to read the book to understand what I mean, exactly.

The struggle Lexi faced with herself was the real story. She feels immense guilt from the tragedy that occurred in her past, which she lets rule her life. Her overcoming the guilt and growing enough to accept herself and her past was the thing that kept me reading.

At one point, a character changes their personality completely, which shocked me. I was not expecting it because it was such a 180 and there was no warning whatsoever, that I could see. So fair warning, not everyone is who they seem.

Also, I have a smallish rant that stems from something Lexi says. During an English assignment, Lexi and two other students are discussing books to present to the class and then Lexi insults comic books, that they’re not good enough to read. What’s wrong with comic books?? I’ll have you know, Lexi, that there are some comic books and graphic novels that have been the most beautiful and poignant stories I’ve ever read. So, take that, Lexi. *mock glares*

Overall, this book was different (to me since it’s the first Siren book I’ve read) and pretty good. I’m not sure if it’ll become a series, though. It works as a stand-alone, so a second book is certainly welcome but not necessary.

Ripple is scheduled for release on July 21st from Razorbill, a Penguin imprint.

Reviewed at WhatchYAreading on June 6, 2011.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ripple.