Brian's Reviews > Godslayer

Godslayer by Jacqueline Carey

Jun 18, 11

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from June 06 to 18, 2011

I hesitate to give the book three stars, but at the same time I feel four stars is really what it deserves. Unlike BanewreakerGodslayer moves away from some of the LotR motifs but not all. Yes the wizard returns and is garbed all in white and the bearer and his guide face all forms of trails and pain. These trails and the pain of the bearer I think is where Carey diverges from Tolkien. Godslayer left me with a sense that Carey was upset with how Frodo was treated in LotR and she drew a sharp comparison to the ordeal he had undergone. Dani the Bearer is nothing more than a pawn in Malthus' game to wrest power from Satoris (aka the Dark Lord). While Gandalf is very similar to Malthus the compassion and care he gives the Hobbits makes him a greater than Malthus who seeks only to bring about Haomane's will (departed god).

Carey does a wonderful job of blurring the lines of good and evil. She gets the reader to question whether or not the villains are truly villains or are they the real heroes. Cast against the unbending forces of good it is really easy to see them in a positive light. The Three make their return and are once again the best part of the novel. Add this time is the trails of the Bearer and the pain of the Sorceress of the East who is now mortal for the first time in hundreds or thousands of years and watches as her once pristine body begins to wither. Her role is really interesting and adds a new depth to the story.

Other than the obvious Tolkien homage (being nice) there were several instances of editorial failure. Often times misspellings of a word that gave the wrong thoughts to a section and at other times character names were wrong. I do not blame the author for these, but I do feel that the editors need to be held accountable.

In the end I liked this book much better than the first. For those who have not read the first I wish there was a way for you to skip it and just read this one. I guess just skim through it with out thinking about anything else and it might be alright, but for sure read this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Godslayer.

06/09/2011 page 57