Robert Forman's Reviews > Enlightenment Ain't What It's Cracked Up to Be: A Journey of Discovery, Snow and Jazz in the Soul

Enlightenment Ain't What It's Cracked Up to Be by Robert K.C. Forman

Nov 23, 11

(Review from the author)

I know I'm the author, but this is by far the best book I've ever written. Not that all my academic books give it much competition.

As a scholar of mysticism, I've probably read 2000 books on spirituality. I got frustrated with them all because there is waaaay too much fiction and telling of just so stories in them. So I attempted to tell the real truth here, warts and all: about the path. About what Enlightenment actually feels like and is. About the goal that we're actually after. It is part memoir, part research into what enlightenment actually means, part exploration of the lacunae of the spiritual path, and all an exercise in telling the truth.

And I like to think, and keep hearing, that readers can feel the thud of truth here. Here's one of the reviews from Amazon:

"I have been savoring Dr. Forman's wonderful new book for the past few weeks...reading it slowly in chunks and enjoying every delightful bite like a mouth-watering multi-course meal that you never want to end! Given the subject matter--"spiritual enlightenment"--and Dr. Forman's formidable background as a scholar of mysticism and religion, I had expected more of an erudite and opaque academic tome, like the writing of so many "spiritual teachers" who have been climbing the "stairway to heaven" for centuries! But, alas, to my great surprise -- and delight --instead of weighty "expertise" on a subject that, truth be told, no one fully understands or grasps (not with scientific proof, anyway!)...Dr. Forman has given us a candid --even raw -- expose on his thirty-odd year struggle with, what he calls, "the silence". I found myself, over and over again as I read, moved deeply by his humility and inspired by his courage. Very few of the "spiritual teacher" club will come down from the mountain very often or for very long, and especially not to publicly air out their dirty laundry (let alone even acknowledge they ever soil any)...or to share their challenges with making a living, being a good spouse, hell...just living with integrity in these crazy, noisy, unforgiving, chaotic times we call "modern life".

"As a writer myself, I was inspired by Dr. Forman's beautiful, simple and honest prose, and touched by the sweet sincerity of his vulnerability" Jeffry Hull
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Enlightenment Ain't What It's Cracked Up to Be.

Jenneke de Jong Is this the book you were planning to write when we talked on the porch in the fall of 2007? The one with peronal experiences you didn't quite know how to put? Anyway, I'm going to check out Amazon,- see if they get it. Title is promising. Love the title.

Robert Forman Jenneke wrote: "Is this the book you were planning to write when we talked on the porch in the fall of 2007? The one with peronal experiences you didn't quite know how to put? Anyway, I'm going to check out Amazon..."

yeah, precisely. But that conversation, and many many like it, helped me learn to "eff" the "ineffable."

message 3: by Pier (new) - added it

Pier Finnfors Sounds interesting. I'll be sure to read this one. 2000 books surely can't have been for nothing!

Robert Forman yeah, Pier, it actually is interesting. its getting amazing reviews on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Enlightenment-A...

message 5: by Pier (new) - added it

Pier Finnfors Robert wrote: "yeah, Pier, it actually is interesting. its getting amazing reviews on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Enlightenment-A..."

Wow, no kidding. My congratulations good sir!