Lani's Reviews > Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer: A Road Trip into the Heart of Fan Mania

Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer by Warren St. John

Jun 08, 11

bookshelves: borrowed, biography, non-fiction
Recommended to Lani by: Josh Paulik
Read from June 04 to 06, 2011

Josh actually recommended this to me, despite me not knowing much of anything about college football. I'm not sure why he picked it up, but I did enjoy it.

In a similar vein to all the other 'do a wacky thing for a year' books, St John traces his interest to its starting point (childhood in Alabama), to his disconnect and self-aware analysis of the phenomenon (living in New York as a writer), all the way into his 'immersion' into the culture he tries for the year (season, really). He ends up buying his own RV to join into the RV superfan culture of college football, particularly the SEC.

It was a quick read, with some eccentric characters introduced, and a pretty high drama football season. I'm not sure how much the author wanted to analyze being a fan, or whether he really succeeded or not. There were a few references to studies of fandom and attempts to explain group behavior, but by and large it's an account of a football season experienced in an interesting way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer.