Ruth Hill's Reviews > A Maze of Grace: A Memoir of Second Chances

A Maze of Grace by Trish Ryan

Jun 15, 11

Read from June 06 to 15, 2011

All right, I'm going to be incredibly honest. I won this book from a blog giveaway. I remember winning it, and I put it on my bookshelf thinking, "I'll read that someday." I knew nothing about it--not even that it was a Christian book. I had never heard of the author, and when I picked up the book, I doubted I would like it very much.

My mind changed in a relatively short period of time. I discovered within a few pages that Trish Ryan was a Christian author, and this was a book that was going to change my life. For the better. And it did! I think I have said before that I don't keep books very often once I read them, but this one is definitely joining the elite ranks. The only way I would ever part from it would be if I were passing it on to someone else who needed it more than I did. Fat chance of that ever happening!!

The thing I appreciated about the book so much was that Trish Ryan speaks so realistically. She doesn't hide behind "Christianese." She tells it like it is, and if she doesn't know something, she says so! It was so refreshing to read about someone who hears God speak to her regularly and doesn't buy into religious claptrap. And this woman has been through more than I probably ever will. She sees her Christian walk as a process, not just a one-time thing.

I was able to identify with a lot of what she said since I myself am a divorced Christian. I also loved the fact that she made me think about my Christian walk in new ways that made good sense. I think sometimes it takes someone who did not grow up as a Christian to challenge us in our Christian beliefs. I appreciate her perspective!

I cannot even begin to tell you all the things I learned. There was far too much to remember! What I will say is that she is a woman who follows Jesus, seeks His will, and still knows how to have a fun time. She writes with humor and understanding in a way few Christian female authors do. I look forward to reading more of her books in the future!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Maze of Grace.