Chibineko's Reviews > My Boyfriend Bites

My Boyfriend Bites by Dan Jolley

Jun 06, 2011

bookshelves: awesomeness, butt-kicking-heroines, comics, cool, cute, funny, short, vampires, young-adult, graphic-novel
Read from June 06 to 10, 2011

When I first picked up this series via Made for Each Other (book 2 in the series), I was a little underwhelmed. I'd been told that there were better entries out there, so I picked this one up to see if that was the case & I'm happy to say that it is.

While the content was definitely inspired by various vampire hunting heroes (Buffy anyone?), this comic takes that inspiration & manages to turn it into something new & fun. You won't care that you've seen it before in a different incarnation. You'll be too busy tearing through the pages & rooting for Vanessa.

I absolutely loved that Jolley managed to give Vanessa just enough depth to keep her from being a cardboard cutout as well as avoiding the temptation to keep from giving her any flaws. (It's quite easy to fall into that when your story only has so many pages for both plot & character development.) The illustrator also deserves a hand of applause for doing such a great job on the characters- I loved the way this looked.

My only complaint is that while Vanessa & Jean Paul are developed as characters, the secondary ones sort of fell to the wayside & other aspects of the book (the bad vamps, JP's bosses) weren't as well explored as I'd like. Since that would probably require at least 20-30 more pages, I can't really fault the team for focusing more on our two lead characters.

This really felt like the setup for a series, so I can only hope that Graphic Universe will allow us another look back into Vanessa's world. This has far too much promise & potential for just one entry.

4/5

(ARC provided by Netgalley)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Boyfriend Bites.

06/06/2011 page 7
5.0% "I love the artwork so far."
06/09/2011 page 13
10.0% "Main character is sort of an idiot, but an endearing & well meaning one."
06/09/2011 page 24
19.0% "Jean Paul? If he turns out to be a vampire, as the book's title suggests, I'm going to have to give a little laugh."
06/09/2011 page 27
21.0% "Her daughter has dated a guy who went criminal, a guy who sold exam questions online, & a guy who dropped out of high school to sit on his butt. So why does her mom care that her daughter's dating a janitor? If anything, I think that's a step up in her dating history."
06/09/2011 page 72