Tara Chevrestt's Reviews > Velva Jean Learns to Fly

Velva Jean Learns to Fly by Jennifer Niven

Jul 17, 11

bookshelves: women-in-aviation, world-war-2, historical-fiction, 2011-release, librarything, blew-me-away-list, arc
Read from July 14 to 17, 2011

First of all, I didn't read the first one, Velva Jean Learns to Drive. There was nothing in a premise about a girl learning to drive a truck and sing in the Grand Ole Opry that appealed to me. However, I must read any women in aviation book I can get my hands on, especially concerning the WASP, the Women Air Service Pilots. So I got my hands on this one thanks to LibraryThing and despite the fact I didn't know much about Johnny Clay, Harley, or the history of Velva Jean, I loved it.

The book begins with a Velva Jean driving her yellow truck away from her husband and family. She don't like being tied down. She's not cut out to be a preacher's wife... she has dreams that extend beyond her little town. She's gonna make it big in Nashville and sing. She thinks, however, that a business card given to her long ago is gonna lead to fame.... to read full review, click the link below:

2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Velva Jean Learns to Fly.

07/14/2011 page 33
8.0% ""If there was one thing I hated in this world, it was folks who told you that you couldn't do something. That was worse than being told you shouldn't do it. I knew she meant well, but a person had to believe in herself even when no one else did.""
07/15/2011 page 79
19.0% ""We are in a war and we need to fight it with all our ability and every weapon possible. Women pilots . . . are a weapon waiting to be used.""
07/15/2011 page 165
40.0% ""Mama used to say being scared or sad or mad gave you things to write about that weren't just blue skies and spring flowers and ice cream."" 1 comment
07/17/2011 page 235
56.0% ""When it comes down to itm these women are perfectly capable of flying combat missions. After all, when aroused, women make the nastiest fighters.""

message 1: by Susan (new)

Susan I'm glad this one didn't disappoint you. Some of the ones that you thought you'd really like haven't lived up to expectations.

Tara Chevrestt I know. This one was amazing though!

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan OT, but this reminded me: I think that person who didn't like your negative review on Amazon, the review where I defended your opinion as a valid opinion, is stalking me and giving me "not helpful" votes, LOL. He seemed to be a sockpuppet who was taking things way too seriously.

Or it could be someone(s) else. Whoever it is, do they really think I am going to care?

Tara Chevrestt It's the vine thing. If it was that stalker, all my reviews would show a negative too.. Only my Vine reviews get hit though.

Tara Chevrestt Yep, every vine review, but two have been bombed with negatives. The only ones not hit are the dog treats and one other book. Even my Mrs. Tom Thumb review got hit. I'd like to know what is unhelpful about that review. I put some heart into that one.

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan I have only two vine reviews, and those have been hit, but recently, others have been, too. Seems a silly waste of time if there isn't a legitimate reason. If my reviews suck, I want to know it. If they just don't agree with me, tell me why.

Unfortunately, so far, I haven't been given title Ruler of the Universe so I doubt that what I think is going to matter. :)

Tara Chevrestt I know exactly what u mean. I only post vine reviews there or an occasional review upon request. Sometimes I post cause I feel like it, but only if there are less than 2 reviews for the book. I hate amazon.

Tara Chevrestt I meant to say ten reviews

Shomeret Tara, I got copy of Velva Jean Learns to Fly: A Novelfrom a Friends of the Library bookstore. Yay! But I still have to read Deaf Isn't Dumb. It's next on my Kindle reads. In fact it's been like that for a while, but I keep on getting books for review from The Bookplex that have to be read ASAP.

message 11: by Tara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tara Chevrestt Oh, I know how it is. Me, I sometimes just ignore the review required ones and read what I want. I've had to or I would read nothing but review required and never those "spur of the moment, just cause I feel like it" ones. LOL Probably why netgalley doesn't like me anymore.