Trudi's Reviews > A Monster Calls

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

The monster showed up just after midnight. As they do.

If I could get the whole world to read just one book it would be A Monster Calls. I could list here a whole ream of adjectives to try and describe it -- beautiful, haunting, heartbreaking, lyrical -- but none do it justice. I would need to invent adjectives, and even then I would come up short.

I can tell you A Monster Calls is the warmest hug, the hug that makes you feel the most safe, when you are at your most frightened. The world can be a terrible place, Fate a cruel and capricious bitch. But we humans persevere, it's what we do even when we're certain we cannot.

This story is such an intimate experience; it holds you in its jagged grip, unrelenting in its task, merciless in its final destination. It is the human heart personified, all the love we are capable of feeling contained in its pages.

I implore you -- Read. This. Book. Don't wait a moment longer.
50 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Monster Calls.

Quotes Trudi Liked

Patrick Ness
Stories are the wildest things of all, the monster rumbled. Stories chase and bite and hunt.

Patrick Ness
“There is not always a good guy. Nor is there always a bad one. Most people are somewhere in between.”

Patrick Ness
Stories are important, the monster said. They can be more important than anything. If they carry the truth.

Patrick Ness
“The monster showed up just after midnight. As they do.”

03/25 marked as: read

Arah-Lynda Great Review.....added to my wish list!

Trudi Thanks! I'm sure you will love it. Enjoy!

Tressa I checked this out from the library today. Looks good!

Trudi I really hope you enjoy it Tressa!

Tressa Ha. I checked it out and started it after I got home at five and I already finished it! I really liked it. For some reason I thought it was going to be horror, but it wasn't.

message 6: by Kumari (new) - added it

Kumari Absolutely. I'll get right on it. thanks for the suggestion.

message 7: by Ɗắɳ 2.☠ (last edited Mar 08, 2015 10:44AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ɗắɳ  2.☠ Trudi wrote: "If I could get the whole world to read just one book it would be A Monster Calls."

The first I heard of this book was from your review. How could I not take a peek, after a comment like that? It wasn't at all what I expected going in, but I gotta say I really did enjoy it. So much so, I actually went back and purchased it, just for all the artwork.

Thanks for the heads up. One down, 7 Billion to go...Good Luck!

Trudi Dᴀɴ 2.☢ wrote: "It wasn't at all what I expected going in, but I gotta say I really did enjoy it. So much so, I actually went back and purchased it, just for all the artwork..."

I was just pushing this book on a co-worker today and saw your comment that I had missed. That's so fantastic that you ended up buying it. I think it's such a special book. I'm so happy my review played a part in you giving it a try. :)

message 9: by Ɗắɳ 2.☠ (last edited May 09, 2015 10:54AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ɗắɳ  2.☠ It was a really heart-wrenching, powerful story. I read the epub on my iphone, but when I saw the actual book, with all that great art, I couldn't resist buying it.

I even referenced your review in my Knife of Never Letting Go review. You may have been wondering what was up, if you got some random likes a few weeks ago.

Kimberly Hall I LOVE this book. I couldn't find a hard copy available in my area, so I listened to the audiobook. Having Jason Isaacs (Lucius Malfoy) read this was just icing on the cake. My husband thought I was crazy for crying and blubbering over a book, but I couldn't help it.