SA's Reviews > Lone Star Navy: Texas, the Fight for the Gulf of Mexico, and the Shaping of the American West

Lone Star Navy by Jonathan W. Jordan

91945
Feb 01, 12

bookshelves: non-fiction, texas
Read from October 31, 2011 to February 01, 2012

I will admit that this book started kind of "slow" for me. The book is what it advertises itself as, a "naval history." My perspective and desire for reading the book was more for Texas History. As such, the specific jargon and certain details found me a bit disinterested while simultaneously curious.

With all this stated, the action seems to pick up considerably as the Texas Navy comes to be and gets more action in the Gulf. The author does a fine job of narrating the very intriguing events that the Texas Navy was ultimately involved in. The account is thoroughly detailed and clearly diligently researched. He also does well to present the bigger picture and moving parts, integrating global foreign policy concerns and giving a broader context to the disputes between the Republic of Texas and Mexico.

Harkening back to my initial point, I knew I'd be happy at some point that I read this book, simply to be better acquainted with the history. But I can say with complete candor that I thoroughly enjoyed the author's narration, particularly from the point where Cmdr. Moore took over the reigns of the navy.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lone Star Navy.

Scott Gardner Have you looked into any of Keith Guthrie's books on The Forgotten Ports of Texas? I started with LaSalle's journal, then went Lone Star Navy, then Forgotten Ports. The last one provided me with a great summary of the history of the Texas coast. Also From Sail To Steam - 400 years of life on the Texas coast - or something close to that, was also very thorough. Please post your thoughts on 1776 when you get done. I have my eye on that one.

message 2: by SA (new) - rated it 4 stars

SA hey Scott. RE: 1776. I've actually already read it once -- reading it again for a reading group. It's a phenomenal read. A well-crafted historical narrative that reads more like a novel. To me, it reads much like the works of Erik Larson. I usually don't re-read books, but I was actually excited at the opportunity to read this one a second time.

I appreciate the recs on the other works you mention, particularly Forgotten Ports.