Lauren's Reviews > Going Underground

Jun 06, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: read-but-dont-own, 2011
Read from August 08 to 10, 2012

More reviews and bookish blog posts can be found on my blog!
Check out my full review of Going Underground with an excerpt, my favourite quotes, and more info.

(I don’t remember every single detail of the book exactly because I borrowed it, but I’ll try my best to write a review that will make you want to read it as well.)

Going Underground was good. That’s the right word to describe it. Good. Not awesome, not spectacular, not mind-blowing. Just good. It was beautifully written, refreshing, and original. It explores some heavy subjects which I won’t talk about much because that would be a spoiler, but if you like those kind of books, this is one to add to your to-read list.

Del was a great protagonist. He’s a guy, which is rare in YA contemporaries, especially when written by a female author. He has a passion for music, and it’s the only thing that keeps him sane. His job is digging graves in the local graveyard.

We follow Del through his everyday life that consists mainly of taking care of his parrot and digging graves. He’s is still pretty upset about the whole incident, but one day, when he’s working, he sees a beautiful girl, almost an angel, at the graveyard. He doesn’t know her name or her story, but he wants to find out. This is where the story goes on and while he gets to know her, he learns how to move on from what happened and have a fresh start.

Going Underground is a story about hope, wrong and right, and moving on with your life, even after every shitty thing that’s happened. If you are a fan of YA contemporary fiction, you will probably enjoy this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Going Underground.

08/08/2012 page 103
31.0% "This is really confusing so far. What has he done that got him into so much trouble?! Oh, so mysterious."
08/08/2012 page 103