Happie's Reviews > The Iron King

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

Jan 13, 12

bookshelves: favorites
Read from June 06 to 08, 2011

I have been holding unto the Iron Fey books for quite some time now, got all 3 (Iron King, Iron Daughter and Iron Queen) plus the 2 ebook novellas, but haven’t get to read them. Call it laziness or complacency. Now, however, I’m on a roll…

Reading the Iron King, made me think of the Labyrinth, Never-Ending Story, and Midsummer Night’s Dream but placed me in a darker, magical place. For once, I wasn’t irked by the seemingly love triangle angle of the story (because I really don’t like love triangles), and not find myself rooting for someone, as all the characters have somewhat endeared to my heart, and I just moved along and enjoyed the whole story as it unravel before my eyes.

I loved Meghan’s humanity and her flaws, her character made her for what she is, how I loved the devotion to her brother and family. I loved Robbie/Puck’s wittiness and loyalty. I loved Ash, indeed an epitome of an ice prince, his coldness (and how he thawed) and solidarity. But most of all, I endeared to Grimalkin’s intelligence and kicker punchlines. As much as I feel that I’m leaning for Team Ash, again for once, I can’t help but be torn as well for Puck.
When I reached the part of the Iron King and how it had came to life and being, all I can say was “Wow, it was brilliant!” Really, who could have thought but it’s very likely to happen. Kudos to the author, Julie Kagawa for coming up and writing the Iron Fey series.

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant!

The quote that tugged my heart and had placed a lump in my throat: "I would have gotten you there!" Puck roared. "Me! You don't need his help! Don't you trust me to keep you safe? I would've given eveything for you. Why didn't you think I'd be enough?"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron King.