Laini's Reviews > Venus Envy

Venus Envy by Louise Bagshawe

May 29, 12

bookshelves: chicklit, fiction, unfinished

Started this book thinking it was time for a good dose of chick lit. I was wrong. I've read some of Louise Bagshawe's books previously and enjoyed them in that sort of light hearted, not much thinking involved sort of way. But this one was different. Maybe my mood wasn't right for it, or maybe it was something else, but I really didn't enjoy this. I disliked it so much that I didn't even make it a quarter of the way through it, not even close in fact.

The main character, whose name I can't even remember, seems to me a lazy, over-eating, self-pitying sort of person. She went to Art college, and now can't find a job, so her rich loving parents decide to force her to move to London to live with her beautiful, successful, hippy, popular sister, who everybody loves and everybody wishes that the other sister could be more like.

She gets a job, isn't very good at it, falls for the married good looking boss, and he manages to convince her that he want's her. She spends the night with him after a romantic dinner in his "Flat" in the city, and then he proceeds to treat her like crap, she has to rush off in the morning back to her sister's place to have a shower because he can't be bothered to let her have a shower there. Who saw this coming? Me....a mile off, I just couldn't bear to read any more after that.

She wasn't a likeable character, the story was cringeworthy. Maybe if I'd given it time, I would have seen more depth to the main character and maybe even her boss, but I just didn't care enough about either of them to find out.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Venus Envy.