Katelyn (Tales of Books and Bands)'s Reviews > Instructions for an Inexperienced Lover

Instructions for an Inexperienced Lover by Amanda Leduc

Aug 21, 11

bookshelves: own, read-in-2011, signed, review-books, 3-stars, new-adult
Read from July 20 to 26, 2011

This is one of those books that you read and enjoy but as time goes on you find that you like it even more. At first the characters were okay, the situations the main character, Rosa went through were slightly entertaining, and the style of writing seemed to bounce around. However, as I stated just a moment ago, I found myself REALLY liking it the more I continued to read this story.

Rosa is a young woman trying her hand at writing. At a first glance she is a rather boring character. She always does the right thing, doesn’t have a social life, and the only relationship she has ever had with a guy is the crush she has on her much older, former teacher named James. Rosa as a character, much like every other aspect of the book, got better in time. Once she met Aylish, a character I will talk about in a moment, she comes out of her shell. She starts to make things interesting by going out more with Aylish, furthering her relationship abilities, and ultimately create intriguing stories based on her experiences with Aylish. Rosa gradually grows as a character throughout the whole book. She really thinks about what she wants out of life including her religion, her relationships with both James and Aylish, as well as what she wants to do with her future. Even though I was not a fan of Rosa at the beginning, she certainly grew on me throughout the book.

Aylish and James are two completely different characters but they both have one main similarity and that Rosa is in love with them. Aylish is sporadic, funny, out-going, and extremely indecisive. James is caring, mature, knowledgeable, and like Aylish, very indecisive. Both of these characters string Rosa along. They make the time for her when they need her but it seemed to me that when Rosa really needed them to be there for her, they were absent. I really did not like the way that Aylish knew she had a certain control over Rosa. She could convince her to do things that normally went against her morals. She challenged Rosa’s religion and beliefs but in the end, Rosa still felt strongly for her. I may not have liked Aylish at all but she was a vital character for Rosa’s growth. James is a character I liked only slightly more than Aylish. Like Aylish, he knows that Rosa is his; hook, line, sinker BUT he never does anything to try and let her know that he is just not interested. He likes the fact that Rosa would walk to the ends of the Earth just to make him happy and that irritated me. James was not my favorite but he still caused major changes in Rosa that would have not been possible in any other way.

This book ended up being a so-so read for me but I am still a fan of Amanda Leduc’s writing style. Like I stated earlier, it took a while getting used to, but it was beautiful in its originality. This book felt so incredibly real to me. It was almost as if I was reading someone’s extra long diary. I was able to learn a lot about Rosa and why she did and thought the way that she did. At a glance the story may seem like the situations the character goes through are insignificant but in my opinion that is the most intriguing part of this story. Amanda didn’t create a character dealing with the death of the parent or someone who inherits supernatural abilities, she created a regular Joe. Rosa could be anyone, your neighbor, the young woman at the grocery store, or a girl that sits near you in class. She is just so normal that you feel you are getting to know a real person.

Amanda’s unique writing style will take some getting used to but in the end, it is worth it. I can’t wait to read what she comes up with next!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Instructions for an Inexperienced Lover.

07/20/2011 page 50