Tammy's Reviews > A Clash of Kings

A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin

May 13, 12

Read from June 18 to July 12, 2011

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Clash of Kings.

Quotes Tammy Liked

George R.R. Martin
“So many vows... they make you swear and swear. Defend the king. Obey the king. Keep his secrets. Do his bidding. Your life for his. But obey your father. Love your sister. Protect the innocent. Defend the weak. Respect the gods. Obey the laws. It’s too much. No matter what you do, you’re forsaking one vow or the other.”

George R.R. Martin
“Power resides only where men believe it resides. [...] A shadow on the wall, yet shadows can kill. And ofttimes a very small man can cast a very large shadow.”

George R.R. Martin
“One night, in his cups, he drank a jar of wildfire, after telling his friends it would transform him into a dragon, but the gods were kind and it transformed him into a corpse.”
tags: humor

George R.R. Martin
“I will hurt you for this. I don't know how yet, but give me time. A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid.”

George R.R. Martin
“Tyrion Lannister could not have been more astonished if Aegon the Conqueror himself had burst into the room, riding on a dragon and juggling lemon pies.”

George R.R. Martin
“How can you still count yourself a knight, when you have forsaken every vow you ever swore?"

Jaime reached for the flagon to refill his cup. "So many vows...they make you swear and swear. Defend the king. Obey the king. Keep his secrets. Do his bidding. Your life for his. But obey your father. Love your sister. Protect the innocent. Defend the weak. Respect the gods. Obey the laws. It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or the other.”

George R.R. Martin
“I have never liked you, Cersei, but you were my own sister, so I never did you harm. You've ended that. I will hurt you for this. I don't know how yet, but give me time. A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid. - Tyrion”

George R.R. Martin
“She yearned to see her mother again, and Robb and Bran and Rickon… but it was Jon Snow she thought of most. She wished somehow they could come to the Wall before Winterfell, so Jon might muss up her hair and call her “little sister.” She’d tell him, “I missed you,” and he’d say it too at the very same moment, the way they always used to say things together. She would have liked that. She would have liked that better than anything.”

George R.R. Martin
“When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.”

06/20/2011
04/27/2012 page 74
7.0% "At the Wall with Jon Snow"
04/27/2012 page 142
14.0% "Stopping at Daenerys."
05/02/2012 page 183
23.0% "Bran"
05/06/2012 page 211
27.0% "Sansa - it's gonna get redonk in here."
05/07/2012 page 285
36.0% "Theon - getting his weasel greased"
05/09/2012 page 380
48.0% "Just finished with Catelyn and the Smoke Monster. Next up is everyone's favorite bastard, Jon Snow."
show 9 hidden updates…