Corey Dutson's Reviews > Taming Poison Dragons

1198481
Jun 23, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, kindle
Read from June 06 to 22, 2011

I've got a distinct weakness for books that take place in Old China or Japan. There's just so much culture there, and when a good author can take that culture and weave a compelling story into the fabric? Well that's just swell.

Tim Murgatroyd has become an author I'll be watching closely. His writing style, while slightly long-winded at times, works perfectly for the genre and style of book that Taming Poison Dragons happens to be. It sucks you in and takes you along a brilliant story of a straightforward poet as he is dragged through the shifting landscape of politics in ancient China. It's a long story that fills you with pride and breaks your heart all at the same time.

It took me a while to get through this one, as the 320 page count is deceiving; it's basically written in bible-sized text. I'd probably place it more in the 500 page mark, myself. Regardless, I'm happy I took the time to read it, because goddamn, was that a great book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Taming Poison Dragons.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tom (new)

Tom "I've got a distinct weakness for books that take place in Old China or Japan" - then you MUST read A Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitchell.

Corey Dutson Tom wrote: ""I've got a distinct weakness for books that take place in Old China or Japan" - then you MUST read A Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitchell."

I'll put it on my list!