Krista Basilio's Reviews > Overprotected

Overprotected by Jennifer Laurens

Jun 06, 2011

bookshelves: contemporary, young-adult, romance, chick-lit

Jennifer Laurens brought Overprotected to life by weaving an engaging, slightly creepy, romantic tale and offering us likable (and hate-able) characters you couldn't help vest myself into.

Ashlyn is a society princess stuck under the heavily jeweled hand of her mother and the thumb of her highly successful, powerhouse father. As ridiculous as the situation sounded it really was brought to life. I fell into Ashlyn's life, urging her to strengthen her backbone and trying to sway those around her. Ashlyn, despite the perfect air around her that usually would turn me off, was and extremely likable and easy-to-relate to character. As the situation grew, so did Ashlyn and her emotions and actions were something I couldn't help but hang onto.

Colin, the previous enemy of Ashley, is the guy who Ashlyn's father chooses to protect his princess. Everything about Colin seemed to wrong, yet so right. The way his character fell into his place presented us with a situation which could have went any number of ways, but Jennifer Laurens took the story by the horns and guided Colin exactly the way she wanted him. At first, I didn't know how to read Colin. His personal character was so all over the place, in a completely different way than Ashlyn's, but he offered a steadier presence where Ashlyn was concerned allowing for the story of Ashlyn and Colin to come to life.

Although the writing in Overprotected is quite simple, it flows well and Jennifer Laurens did a fantastic job of elaborating in all the right places and keeping the story on track. Her easy way with words made it easy to the turn the pages and hard to put down. Add that with a little of swoon-worthy romance and a bad case of overprotective-parental-units and you have a story you have to see through.

Overprotected oozed sexual tension, something I have found Jennifer Laurens is a master at creating, yet it never crosses that line, making it a great story for romance lovers (who doesn't adore some serious sexual tension) and those who want romance but want it a little more on the clean side. Fun, slightly mysterious (who doesn't want to find out why Ashlyn's parents are the way they are?), and romantic, Overprotected is definitely worth a read and completely fabulous.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Overprotected.