Balaji Dutt's Reviews > Overclocked: Stories of the Future Present

Overclocked by Cory Doctorow

Jun 05, 11

bookshelves: fiction, 2007-reading, singapore, borrowed, science-fiction, celebrity-author
Read in November, 2007

When I spotted this book in the library I knew I had to read it given: a. I religiously read BoingBoing everyday and via BB I had already read one of the short stories in this book - "When Sysadmins ruled the earth". While I found that story interesting, it certainly did not qualify as a great story. As it turns out, that story is probably the weakest link in the chain. The final two stories in the book - "I, Row-Boat" and "After The Siege" are easily the highlight of the book - and far better IMO, than "Anda's Game" which has won awards. If you are not a regular BoingBoing (BB) reader, you might be a bit puzzled by constant references to themes such as innovation, freedom from copyright etc. Regular BB readers onn the other hand, will know exactly where all this comes from. My own favourite in this probably has to be "I, Row-Boat" partly for its concept and partly for it's snarky references to '90s internet culture. All in all, this is a great SF book - one that will make you late for work because you can't wait to find out how the story ends.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Overclocked.