Sophie Riggsby's Reviews > An Abundance of Katherines

Sep 21, 12

bookshelves: adorable-quotient-is-high, laughter-tears-giggles, wowiewowwow
Read in September, 2012

*Review published on Mundie Moms on 9/21/2012*

I’m a firm believer that sometimes on road trips, we end up not where we intended but where we’re needed the most. John’s An Abundance of Katherines explores what happens when a quick pit stop (to see the grave of Archduke Ferdinand) turns into a summer job for anagramming child prodigy Colin and his quick-witted, best friend Hassan.

I adored Colin and Hassan. Like most of friendships, theirs is based on balance. While Colin is obsessed with searching for a formula which explains 19 iterations of getting dumped by girls named Katherine, Hassan is trying to avoid enrolling into college. In fact, Hassan tries to avoid anything which remotely resembles work. I snort-laughed, giggled and literally laughed-out-loud on a public beach (yes, I attracted lots of stares but I didn’t care) reading their exchanges.

And then, John does what he does best – he places them in a tiny town in Tennessee. Good old Gutshot, a place filled with secrets. Colin and Hassan accept a job to take down the oral history from Gutshot’s oldest residents. In listening to the stories, they discover their own predictable patterns of behavior may not be the best route going forward. As they come to these conclusions, they unearth Gutshot’s biggest secret.

I know this book has been read and reviewed by many and all I can add to the praise is how masterfully John writes minor characters and how beautifully everything comes together in the end. Not one thread is left hanging. As I mentioned in my review of Paper Towns, I’m late to the party, but boy, am I glad I’m here. I think I’ll tackle Will Grayson, Will Grayson next. Which John Green book will you pick up?
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Abundance of Katherines.