Emily's Reviews > Galore

Galore by Michael Crummey

Jun 09, 11

bookshelves: literary-fiction, newfoundland
Read from June 05 to 09, 2011

Galore combines history and folktales with a bit of magical realism to tell the fantastic and cryptic stories of several generations in a fictionalized Newfoundland outport called Paradise Deep. I loved how this book created a sense of tradition all around the eruptions of the weird. The characters were great. The dialogue was perfect. The writing was beautiful.

I am working on a genealogical/family history project tracing Newfoundland ancestors, and I felt like the specific issues I see there show up here in this book, so maybe that made it more plausible for me: all the religious rivalry, the disowning, the shunning, the interwoven families. The melodrama of personal feuds in a small isolated village is intense in reality, and intense in this book. Crummey grounds everything in a detailed historical sense of place, so that the beliefs and actions of the characters are seen in their context of extreme deprivation and poverty.

For all of that, there's a lot of humor, even when it's dark humor, but I think that's cultural too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Galore.

06/05/2011

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jessica Thanks for writing it up! After your review - I'm feeling the need to read this.

Jessica So glad you wrote this up. I'm almost to the end of the audio book which is quite good although a very long listen.

Emily Jessica wrote: "So glad you wrote this up. I'm almost to the end of the audio book which is quite good although a very long listen."

I heard Crummey read from it at the Brooklyn Book Festival and it was enchanting with the brogue. Don't know if you got a Newfie accent in your audiobook?

Jessica There was a brogue on the audio - although not sure if it was Newfie or not. Perhaps that's why I was a little confused by it - but yes very charming to listen to!