Ashley's Reviews > Sex with Kings: 500 Years of Adultery, Power, Rivalry, and Revenge

Sex with Kings by Eleanor Herman

Mar 09, 08

bookshelves: non-fiction, history
Read in January, 2006

Although the topic was very interesting, the organization of this book completely killed it. Herman jumps around from one royal mistress to the next, and it became very difficult to follow who was who - I found myself flipping back to earlier chapters to see who she was talking about. I really wanted to enjoy this book, but I couldn't even finish it. With a good editor and some chronological organization, it has potential to be really interesting stuff. As it is, it's only poorly written, unorganized information.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sex with Kings.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Leslie I agree 100%--I didn't even really want to bother finishing it, but I did. How can anyone make royal mistresses boring???

message 2: by Epee (new)

Epee I've just bought this book and also the matching Sex with Queens.

Jodi Agreed....I expected it to be more along the lines of books by Michael Farquhar's--fun sketches of historical characters. I could barely finish it and was disappointed.

Whitney I agree completely with this review. It was difficult to read and poorly organized.

message 5: by Ali (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ali I felt the same way. I'd love to see an edited version - reorganized!

Nicole That's the problem I had, I couldn't keep track. I was wishing for an organizational chart, lol.

Wendy Well stated. Hard to follow who's who. Although the material is interesting, it is just a brief overview not much substance.

Rose I agree! I also had a difficult time because I'm more familiar with English history, and it seemed to me that Herman included more information about French history. I had some trouble keeping everyone straight.