Michele Harrod's Reviews > Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Jul 17, 2011

Read from July 14 to 18, 2011

I have to give a standing ovation to the author for this incredibly original and enchanting tale. And for his use of real photos, woven so beautifully into the tale - I cannot help but wonder if these shots have sat in quiet anticipation all these years, knowing their story would some day be told! For those who have ever wished a day would never end, or perhaps wished they could escape their dreary life into another more adventurous version of themselves. For anyone who has a box of old love letters in which their heart is as securely sealed as the papers inside, tied with ribbon, this is a story for you. Just a magical tale, told with sharp wit, and yet a surprising depth of feeling, paying homage to all the peculiar children who never quite fit into the world, and who can only ever feel safest amongst their own. And a tribute to grandfathers who filled us with wonderous tales that we sadly, one day, grew to believe were just fairy-stories. I swear I felt my grandad come and sit next to me as I journeyed along on the adventure of the peculiar children of Cairnholm. I cannot wait for the next one, and I am sure there are old photographs emerging from deep within dusty boxes and falling from forgotten albums as I type, in an effort to make their way into Mr Riggs incredibly capable hands. PS. Whatever you do, don't read ANYTHING with any spoilers, I had avoided nearly all of it, thank goodness, so I was thrilled with the surprising twists and turns. Anything that steals that from you, is cheating you of the chance for another childhood adventure of your own!!

Righto, I can't stand it, it just deserves more than 4 - and since I can't give it 4.75 it has to go up to 5 stars!!!! (Thanks Heather, it was unfairly misgraded on just 4)
10 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children.

07/14 page 30
9.0% "And so far, I have laughed out loud at least 6 times. So far, this is proving to be a very special treat..."
07/15 page 110
31.0% "I may be disturbing the neighbours with my sudden outbursts of laughter. This perfect blend of 16 year old sarcasm, interwoven with his adoration for his grandfather, is ticking every 'love' box I have. I want to climb into these pages, and stand next to Jacob and walk this with him, right now. Add in the actual photos spread throughout the book, and I behold a visual treat as well as an intellectual one." 3 comments
04/18 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-6)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Lisa I requested it at the library -- only problem is that I am 33rd in the queue!

Michele Harrod Ah, yes, hate that, though it will probably go fast if they have a few copies. We just became a 'super city' so 5 seperate regional libraries all combined, so now when I order a book, it arrives about 3 days later. I used to be able to queue them, then put on hold - no such luck now, so get inundated with them!! Will finish this very soon....

message 4: by Heather (new) - added it

Heather Awesome review, Michele! I can't wait for this one. I must ask, though, what stole that fifth & final star? I guess you can only answer that if it's not a spoiler, right? I'm so glad you hate spoilers (even the tiny ones) as much as I do!

Michele Harrod Well, I really did sit there and hover over 4 or 5, for quite some time. I think just the very last couple of chapters, really did go off on a thrilling adventure ride, and if I was a Young Adult, I would have loved it. The Famous Five pumped on adrenalin - all good really, but I just got a bit frustrated. Like you do in a horror movie, when you know that as they walk slowly down the hallway, the monster is going to jump out and rip off their heads so you can't figure out why they don't know that too, so you start yelling at the screen!! Well, I was yelling at the book, really, and even shook it at one point! You know that feeling? If I had the option for 4.5 stars it would have gotten it. Maybe it deserves 5 for the sheer fact I was so hyped up as if I was really there. I think it just lost me in some of the descriptives at that point, but only for 20 or so pages. I may have to go an alter my star rating for Before I go To Sleep though, as that would have to be a 3.5 if this has to be a 4. Damned stars, I think we need halves!!! And yes, a review is NOT the outside back cover plot overview, let alone the kill-joy whole story outline including the ending and why it happened that way, that some people like to put up here! I just went to load up my next book and quickly just changed it to my 'currently reading' shelf and got out - as soon as I saw reviews that were giving a full run down of the plot!!

Michele Harrod Haha, I have conceded and given it this the full 5 stars. I've also just realised why this book meant so very much to me, as it was literally just over 28 years ago that my own grandfather pulled out a box of old photos, and made some startling revelations that changed my own life in so many ways. Delivering up to me in the 1980's from the small snapshots of the 60's a whole family I never knew I had. Thank you Grandad for your fearlessness in revealing the most wonderful and peculiar truths!

message 1: by Heather (last edited Jul 18, 2011 05:35PM) (new) - added it

Heather Yelling at the book? Now, that's one wicked good read to inspire that! I agree with you about needing the half stars. Every time I give a "5" to something, it makes me question all of the other four stars I've given. I'm sitting there thinking, "Now, if this is a 5, then those others were really 3.5, as they in no way came that close to this version of a 5." Make sense? Michele, you've got me so pumped up for Miss Peregrine's now. I'm also thinking you need to go through your family photos & see if Ransom Riggs could use some of them.I wonder if the photos I took of my grandparents on that Addams Family Photo Shoot (which I forced upon them) would count? :)