Elizabeth "Liza"'s Reviews > A Blue So Dark

3190342
Jun 13, 11

bookshelves: ya, contemporary, favorites
Read from June 05 to 13, 2011

This novel was very good. It is difficult to put into words how beautifully written it is. The novel follows Aura's struggle as she is the sole caretaker of her mother, who is struggling with schizophrenia. Aura makes herself believe that the reason her family is cursed with this condition is because they are artists, therefore she tries to avoid anything that is remotely creative.

I was so mad because not only did Aura felt (and was made) responsible for her mother, but because there were adults in the picture that didn't care enough. I felt like kicking her father into action. I mean, why would you leave your child with a person that cannot take care of her? The story is filled with angst, self-doubt, pain, guilt, I have to confess that it was difficult to read at times.

Aura made difficult and not so wise choices, but she was only 15-16, what else could be expected or her? I am really glad that the ending was so poetic, so nice and that everything turned in for the best.

This is a must read.

About the cover: A beautiful cover and very representative of the story. After you read it it you will get the symbolism of the title, and blue colors, being underwater and mermaids.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Blue So Dark.