Mary's Reviews > U2 by U2

U2 by U2 by Neil McCormick

Jun 05, 11

Read in June, 2011

This is a very cool book--the boys go through their history and discuss each of their albums and tours (through HTDAAB anyway). They start at their humble beginnings as "Feedback" who met in Larry's kitchen in 1976, and they talk about how none of them could really play their instruments. They hustled gigs and slept in the back of their van when they first started touring. Nothing was handed to them--they worked hard--together--to get where they are. They depend on each other and teach each other and they love what they do. They are one, but they are definitely not the same. I love that they talk about the many people who have helped them, their friends and families, struggles and successes, etc. You also get the point-of-view of their manager Paul McGuinness, who has been with them from (almost) the beginning. The book is basically transcribed from more than 150 hours of interviews, and the pictures are incredible. And yes, they all went through really bad hair phases.
FYI, this is a large book (coffee-table sized, 350 pages), so avoid schlepping it around if you have a bum shoulder. Ask me how I know.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read U2 by U2.