Wendy's Reviews > Last Night I Sang to the Monster

Last Night I Sang to the Monster by Benjamin Alire Sáenz

update: I'm a rare 5 star person. It has to be an overall good book with a decent plot, sympathetic characters, unobtrusive language and a satisfying ending. And above all else, it should be believable. This book had it all for me.

As for a satisfying ending, some people like non-endings, like how "The Giver" ended. Some people, like G.R.R. Martin wants everyone dead and long forgotten as time marches on. I, more or less, like happy endings.

And believable, even if its paranormal/mythical, there is that suspension of disbelief that you either have it or you don't.

I'm not big about picking quotes from a book to sum up my thoughts, but this author, just wow. It's between Zach and Adam, the counselor.

"But look, Zach, another part of you lived. You lived, Zach."
"You're crying," I said.
"That happens sometimes," he said.
We both sat there for a long time, not saying anything.
"When Rafael was talking about his son, you cried then too."
"Yeah, I cried."
"Do we hurt you?"
"No. You move me, Zach."
That's a beautiful thing. That's what I wanted to say, but I didn't say that. I didn't say anything.

Like I said, I almost didn't get past pg. 15. Tiny print, and just a bunch of sadness.

Push through it, and see a boy broken into a million pieces scooped up and slowly reformed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Almost done with this one, and it almost made me late to work today.

Sometimes, a sad book makes you just sad for the world, or sad for yourself. Not this one, and not for me at least.

Don't get me wrong: this is a really heartbreaking book. The sadness is just imbued into each and every conversation with the characters and all the internal dialogue.

While the thing going on with Zach is that he can't remember what happened before he got there, you just know it's so terrible that his body won't let him remember. Very powerfully written and lyrically beautiful, and this is coming from a book reviewer who doesn't like flowery language and forced prose...but this is just..wow.

more to come when I finish today....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Night I Sang to the Monster.

03/14/2012 page 1
0.0% "gah! teeny-tiny font."
03/15/2012 page 110
46.0% "almost stopped reading this one. it's pretty sad, but now I'm hooked."
show 3 hidden updates…