Karen Ball's Reviews > A Thousand Never Evers

A Thousand Never Evers by Shana Burg

Jun 05, 11

Read in January, 2009

"The Supreme Court passed a law that violates our state's right to educate the children of Mississippi as we see fit... Fortunately, I'm in charge of the schools in Kuckachoo, so I'm just not gonna follow that law. Integration here? That ain't nothin' but a thousand never evers!"
This is a story of the Civil Rights Movement in the South, told through the eyes of Addie Ann Pickett. Addie Ann learns of the murder of Medgar Evers from her beloved older brother Elias, and shortly after that, he knocks out a white boy who is abusing Addie Ann's cat and must disappear to avoid the lynch mob. Addie Ann and her Uncle Bump work for Mr. Adams, who dies and leaves his home and six acre garden to the entire town for the use of ALL of its citizens, black or white, but that information is kept secret by the town fathers who want to prevent blacks from using the place. The gift to the town sets off a chain of events leading up to Bump's arrest and trial for destruction of property, and Addie Ann must decide whether to break her mother's cardinal rule: "Never tell white folks what they don't want to hear." This is fantastic historical fiction with an amazing ending -- a story of strength, courage, and the price of dignity. Everyone should read this. 6th grade and up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Thousand Never Evers.