Jimmy's Reviews > The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein

M 50x66
Jun 05, 2011

I own a copy , read count: 1

As I started reading this book I was dumbfounded... I thought "Ok, I know english, and I know this book is old, but come on! The language couldn't have changed this much in 50-60 years??". Well, it didn't.
Heinlein has evolved the english language to a more base and more slang language than you might be able to imagine. And to think that he did this when he did is most impressive.

The book is about the future, when mankind has colonized the moon and moved the worst of mankind there to work and send resources back to earth.

You will follow one man, who is the best, almost the only person to be able to communicate and understand the master computer wich runs all of the moon. To think that Heinlein could think this up when he did makes me a bit awed by how he could analyze and understand how mankind would evolve during the next hundred years.

I don't want to spoil anything, but the storyline is about how the moon revolts agains the earth oppression, but however I'm more interested in how he explains humanity, wich I've found to be a repeating theme in Heinlein's work.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.