Suzanne Moore's Reviews > Louisa May Alcott: The Woman Behind Little Women

Louisa May Alcott by Harriet Reisen

Jun 26, 2011

bookshelves: biographies
Read from June 05 to 23, 2011

I am inspired by the life of Louisa May Alcott! Reisen's account of her life left nothing out, and I learned many things I didn't know about LMA. All I really knew about her prior to reading this book was that she wrote Little Women (and other popular children's novels) and she is a card in the game Authors.

I have always loved Little Women ... it has been my favorite book since the day I read it as a young girl. Actually my mother read the story to me the first time, and I then reread it several more times throughout my childhood. I regret not having read it to my own daughters, but during those years, I was a part-time student and waitress along with being a mother of four. It was Little Women which inspired me to read John Bunyan's book Pilgrim's Progress. I think the scene that touched me the most was Beth's death. I cried for at least a week after this character left behind her beloved family for the celestial city. I truly felt Jo's pain from the loss and now know that Louisa wrote from experience. While reading about Beth/Lizzie's actual death, the tears came back fresh. In fact, while reading about LMA's life, I felt sadness during the many hard times and with every loss she experienced. Louisa was a strong woman and worked hard to be independent. She worked as nurse in the Civil War, leaving Hospital Sketches as a memoir of those days.
I have added Alcott's thrillers and other books to my to-read list, and am looking forward to consuming them. This biography is a must-read for anyone who is a fan of Little Women! Those who have never read LMA before will also enjoy learning about this woman and the times she lived in.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Louisa May Alcott.